Friday, June 27, 2008

2001

My friends (as John McCain would say), it is now 2001. Instead of going chronologically over the movies I saw that year, I'm going to go in the reverse order of box-office gross. In other words, I'm gonna start with the lower grossing movies, gradually moving up to the Big Boys.

"Town & Country" starring Warren Beatty and Garry Shandling was shite. The cheerleading movie "Sugar & Spice" was alright. "Tomcats" was crude, but quite amusing to me. One of my favorite scenes is when some old guy loses one of his testicles and it's rolling all over the cafeteria. "Freddy Got Fingered" starring Tom Green was one of the crudest movies ever, but I got a few laughs out of it. "O" was a pretty good update of a Shakespeare tale. "Joy Ride" was a very suspenseful thriller. DeNiro's "15 Minutes" was a bit overcooked.

"Memento" was awesome. Not easy to follow, but very rewarding if you can. Jim Carrey in "The Majestic" was another of my favorites though tis a bit long and drawn out. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was another crude one, but it was good to see Mark Hamill in a cameo. "Amelie" (a French film) was another of my faves. I was the only one in the entire theatre and quite enjoyed the screening. Very sweet movie. "See Spot Run", a kiddie film, was total crap (me calling it crap actually gives it too much credit). "In The Bedroom" was a fantastic drama about the aftermath of an untimely death. Very raw and moving.

Me and a friend were quite freaked out by the first half of "Jeepers Creepers". You see, it was our first exposure to Justin Long. "Evolution" sucked, though I still believe in it in theory. Ben Stiller was fair in "Zoolander" (one of the first movies I went to after 9/11). "K-Pax" was a nice little alien tale starring Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges. "The Royal Tenenbaums" was a bit smug to my eyes. Michael Douglas in "Don't Say a Word" was meh. "Moulin Rouge" was an eye orgasm (especially its first 15 minutes). Rob Schneider's "The Animal" was blah (though it was cool to see Survivor's Colleen as the love interest). Travolta in "Swordfish" was a guilty pleasure. "Shallow Hal" was decent. "Scary Movie 2" wasn't as good as the first, but did have a few laughs. "Bridget Jones's Diary" was a flick chick, but pleasant enough. Spielberg's "A.I." was haunting, especially the scenes of New York City underwater.

2 comments:

Rocketstar said...

Are you back for real?

Thomas said...

Yes, I am, young man. Don't be a stranger.