Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yet Another Movie-Related Post

This past Saturday, I went with my high-school friend to "Tron: Legacy". The original "Tron" came out 28 years ago; I was 11 years old at the time. I remember my mother taking me to it. Though the special effects were ground-breaking, I wasn't overly impressed with the film. Looking back, I am overly impressed with my mom. She taught me to love the movies from a very young age. Back then, one couldn't go online and see what the reviews were for a given movie. The closest thing was to look at what the movie critic had said about the film in the local newspaper. My mom would base what movie the family should see on what "looks good".

While taking us to plenty of sci-fi and action films, she also enjoyed going to films that were more her style, things like "Tootsie", "9 to 5", "Arthur", and "Mr. Mom". In most cases, I had a good time going to these films as well. One of my mother's favorite parts from "Arthur" was when the butler, John Gielgud, said to Dudley Moore, while he was in the bathtub: "Perhaps you would like me to come in there and wash your dick for you, you little shit." I'm greatly looking forward to this spring's remake which stars Russell Brand as the title character.

As me and my friend walked into the screening room on Saturday afternoon, a couple men and their sons were coming out. They looked confused. We walked in to complete darkness. Other than the track lights coming off the stairs, it was pitch black. I paid it no mind and found us a seat at the very top. Gradually others came and the pre-show magic began. There were about twenty other people at the show, all of them male. I explained to my friend what had occurred in the first so he wouldn't be lost; he got lost, anyway. The plot didn't make perfect sense, you see.

Nonetheless, we had a great time. Daft Punk did the soundtrack which was full of electronic and techno beats. I was grooving throughout the film. One of my favorite moments was when Jeff Bridges' son (by the way, this was the second consecutive movie I was attending that starred Bridges) went into the old video arcade and approached the circa early-80's jukebox. The first track it played was Journey's classic "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)". Bridges was fun as always. In one scene, when his son is yelling at him, he says, "You're messing with my Zen thing, man!" Though not a masterpiece, we had a great time with the film and were glad we went.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

omg...jeff bridges is one of my favourite actors now...since fay watched true grit and tron-legacy....
also can't wait to watch the rite....anthony hopkins...i guess everybody's all time fav....
your mom woz so groovy eh....lucky ya....:)

Unknown said...

oh btw...lovin' the new layout....awesome...

Susan said...

Thanks for coming by. I am not blogging at CV anymore. My new blog is my way of reminding myself that I need to focus on God, not the world, but occasionally I slip up. I will link you.

Thomas said...

Great to hear you've also seen both films, Fay. Regarding the new layout, how did you know it was called Awesome? Go to the bottom of the main page if you don't believe me.

Thanks for the update, Susan. I look forward to reading about what you're experiencing.

ExtraO said...

Another one I haven't seen...

Dave said...

I am really looking forward to watching Tron: Legacy the first one totally warped my mind back in the day.

Not so sure how I will get on with a remake of True Grit though, who could follow the Duke?