Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Bloody Cholesterol

I had a blood test done at Mayo in early May and it turns out I have an even higher rate of cholesterol than I did 6 months prior (my total cholesterol is now at 245!) Geez, and I thought I was doing so good! I went back there for a Cardio consult in the middle of May and the doctor said I should try a little harder on my own to reduce this number. How? By fairly significantly reducing my saturated fat intake (not so much my fat intake since I'm at a healthy weight), working out my heart more intensely (I do walk, but rarely break a sweat when doing so), and doing some strength training. Though I was eating better over the last 6 months, I was still having Reese's peanut butter cups most evenings and sometimes going to Friday's twice a week.

I'm paying extra-close attention to what I put in my body now and also working out regularly on the treadmill with a big-time incline as well as walking faster (3.5mph as opposed to 3.2). It feels pretty good. The doctor woke me up a bit when he said I'm not as healthy as I think I am. If I'm unable to reduce my cholesterol by a decent amount by early August, the doctor is gonna send me to a fat camp for high-cholesterol people. Just kiddin, in that case, he would put me on an anti-chol drug. And the beat goes on...

6 comments:

Rocketstar said...

Yeah, don't F with your heart brotha. You can also reduce it by eating oatmeal and other foods.

Thomas said...

Hey, Rocket, after getting the news in May, I bought some oatmeal and have to say it's not as bad as I remembered (as a child, I would always smother it with brown sugar).

Brianinmpls said...

No more Wendy's

Thomas said...

Good advice, Brian, though Wendy's isn't all bad. When eating there, I typically have the homestyle chicken sandwich (2.5 grams of satfat) and a plain baked potato with no butter or any other toppings (0 grams of satfat). 9 times out of 10, I pass on the Frosty.

Maggie Moo said...

Uh oh! This is not good news Thomas. You'd better take better care of yourself! Have you tried eating Cheerios? They say it is supposed to help. *shrug*

PS. I've added you back onto my blogroll. Yay!!

Thomas said...

Welcome back, Mags!

Cheerios, huh? I'll have to look into that.

I've added you to my blogroll as well! :)