Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Triple Play Part II

Sunday morning, me and Shanon were ready to go back to the movie show. I wasn't too crazy about seeing it, but Shanon was pretty gungho, so I compromised and agreed to accompany him to an 11:30am screening of Will Smith's "Hancock". To tell you the truth, the movie was almost worth seeing just due to what I was gonna say to the cashier when requesting a ticket. Any ideas?

Shanon got his ticket and it was then that I strolled up to the young female cashier and said, "I'll take one to Hiscock". Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Shanon shaking his head a bit. The lady didn't have much of a reaction. She basically pretended she hadn't heard it. I can't resist, though. I love playing with words.

There were hardly any cars in the parking lot, so I knew that me and Shanon would most likely have a nice, quiet moviegoing experience. We got a seat in about the 3rd row, dead center and it turned out we were the only ones in the viewing room. I like. We were free to talk as much as we wanted during the previews as well as the movie. We could just act like we were hanging out in our living room.

I wasn't expecting much from any of the movies I saw this past weekend which is good since it ensured I wouldn't end up being too disappointed. In "Hancock", Will Smith is a superhero who is a chronic drunk and quite lonely. He gets help with these issues from a PR man played by Jason Bateman. I've been a fan of Bateman's since the early 80's when he played Ricky Schroeder's best friend, Derek, in Silver Spoons (my mother bought me the first season of the TV show last year). Here is a pic of him from that early 80's timeframe (he's pictured with his older sister, Justine, from Family Ties):



"Hancock" turned out to be better than I was expecting. It took a very unexpected twist 2/3rds of the way in, a direction that hadn't been indicated at all in the trailers. It's always a pleasant surprise when a movie goes further than you thought it would. I give the movie a B+. I don't plan to revisit it anytime soon, but it was worth the $6 I paid to see it.

After "Hancock", me and Shanon went to separate films. He was dying to see "Hellboy 2" while I wanted to catch Steve Carell's "Get Smart" before it left theatres. Shanon went to get his ticket for "Hellboy" while I stayed and watched the rest of the credits for "Hancock". He is such a good boy, going back up to the theatre's entrance and paying another 6 bucks to see another movie. I, on the other hand, after a pit stop in the bathroom, went straight into the theatre showing "Get Smart" (it was right next to where I had just seen the previous movie).

Color me crazy, but I didn't feel guilty. Shanon told me later that he had looked for me at the box office counter. He figured I would be a good boy and buy a tick as well. I told him what I had done and he said that I needed to pray about it and ask the Lord to forgive me. I said I would take it under consideration.

I sat near the front of the theatre for "Get Smart" so as not to be distracted by the several dozen other people in attendance. I wasn't greatly looking to seeing "Get Smart". Though I love Steve Carell in "The Office" and "40-Year Old Virgin", I was quite disappointed in his movie from last summer, "Evan Almighty". Hardly any laughs and way too much reliance on CG, it was one of the worst movies I went to in '07.

But this one was getting some good reviews, so I figured I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did as it was my favorite of the 3 movies I went to over the weekend. You don't have to know or care about the Get Smart TV series of the 60's to get a lot out of the movie. Steve Carell's deadpan style is perfect for the character of Max-i Pad Smart and Anne Hathaway is a beautiful foil for him.



Here's a couple choice lines from the film:

Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway): Are you staring at my butt?
Maxwell Smart (Steve Carell): No, no, I...I was, but I'm not...I'm staring again.

Agent 99: Did you see anything while I was dancing?
Maxwell Smart: Just once, but I don't think you expected him to lift you that high.

I give it an A- overall.

And thus ended my moviegoing weekend.

2 comments:

Rocketstar said...

You are the movie king

Thomas said...

Thank you, sir.