Thursday, April 29, 2010

Smarty Pants

I'm in the midst right now of reading A.J. Jacobs' book "The Know-It-All", an account of his endeavor to read the entire encyclopedia (several dozen pages of it can be viewed here). He mentions the fact that a high IQ is strongly correlated with being able to stand on one foot. I probably wouldn't be bringing this up were it not for the fact that I am able to do this.

The bummer is that there is really only one opportunity I regularly get in which to show this off; not then, you dirty devils. It occurs when one of my shoes is untied. Instead of having to bend down on the ground, like most people, I, while still standing, cross the leg whose shoe is untied across my other leg and string my moccasin up properly.



It'd be cool, if at singles mixers, there was a part at the beginning where everyone was told to stand on one foot. Ladies and gents looking for a highly intelligent lifetime partner could really cut to the chase.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha......haven't read that one.....where do ya get these interesting ideas man?
i betcha there wont be any single intelligent partner...except for the gymnasts and ballerinas....oh and circus performers...so hafta remain single foreva...they don't attract me....hahaha....
attention.....fay's guyz, get your pretty asses on my blog NOW!

ExtraO said...

haha... hmm... interesting! Course, pretty much everyone can stand on one foot... the question is for how long? I happen to have very good balance and can stand on one foot for a long time. I will have to try tying my shoes that way. :-)

Nikki Neurotic said...

I don't even like doing yoga because I can't stand on one foot.

Dave said...

Pffft, it's all an old wives tale I tell you!!

Unknown said...

it seems "woody tom smart pant" ain't that smart after all eh.....hahahah.....
davy jones figured a reroute! doubt he can stand on one leg with his huge 6.3 feet body.....but ol' dude's smart indubiously...lol
com'n tomsy use your navsat...:)

Sundar said...

I have very poor balance when it comes to standing on one foot. I dread the day I get pulled over after 2 drinks and then told to stand on one foot, close my eyes and touch my nose with my forefinger. And I'd be like 'I can't do that when I am sober'. And the cop would say 'Heh heh, so you mean you are drunk now'.