Monday, April 13, 2009

Walk Hard

I've not been on the treadmill for several weeks, but have found another way of getting exercise that is relatively painless. I stumbled on it a number of months ago quite by accident; when a friend or family member calls, I get up and start pacing around the house while conversating with them.

My mom called yesterday wanting to discuss some things about her upcoming wedding. As we exchanged our thoughts for about 15 minutes, I strolled around our fenced backyard. The funny thing is she was also walking while on the phone. Though I'm against hunting, this really kills two birds with one stone (I get a quarter-hour of exercise in while at the same time catching up with loved ones).

I brought this strategy up to my significant other some time ago, but she's been able to get out of it since spraining her knee. I'm not sure why I've been less impelled to go on the treadmill. It could be that my body wants to actually walk, to cover ground, not just walk in place (which is what being on the treadmill basically is).

2 comments:

Rocketstar said...

Funny, but I never thought about it like that but I ALWAYS pace when I am on the phone.

Unknown said...

I've never been a fan of walking and/or running around the same setting over and over. My friend loved cross country running in high school, but I love to exercise while competing against myself and someone else. Tennis and basketball for example.

This is pretty cool and never thought about it, since I tend to pace back and forth myself while on the phone. Now, I can think about this whenever I get into a long talk with a friend. Take care and hope you had a great Easter.