Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Kick

One afternoon when I was in the 4th or 5th grade at Rollingstone Elementary, I was outside with the rest of the kids for our lunch recess. Some kids were on the jungle gym, others were playing four square, still others were on the swings. I was just kind of roaming the periphery of the playground deep in thought about something.

All of a sudden, a red rubber ball (like the one pictured above) rolled right by me. No one appeared to want it, so I picked it up and kicked it as high and as far as I could. I watched it go pretty high, then start to descend about 50 feet away from me. It looked like it was gonna land pretty close to one of the playground supervisors, Mrs. Schlink. I watched closely as the ball landed on Mrs. Schlink's bespectacled face and as it did, the force of the ball actually knocked her glasses off and they fell to the ground, cracking. Some of the children began gathering around her to see if she was alright and wondering who it was that did it.

I then did what any normal 10-year old boy would: started whistling and walked slowly towards the jungle gym as if nothing had happened.

5 comments:

Mags said...

That's the greatest story. Mainly b/c something like that happened to me too.

Did anyone ever find out?

Thomas said...

No, they didn't. I never told anyone about it until many years later.

Nikki Neurotic said...

I "almost" hit my gym teacher in the "family jewels" once. It was funny, though I'd have felt awful if the ball did hit him.

Rocketstar said...

You dirty little rat...

Unknown said...

you naughty li'le......lol