Tuesday, May 08, 2007
One of my favorite memories of our Saint Bernard, Brandy, was when I brought some KFC home. I sat on the couch and opened up my box of food. I let Brandy take a look inside. She immediately put an entire wing in her mouth, bones and all. I tried to get it from her, but she swallowed the entire thing before I had a chance to do so.
Another similar incident occurred in 1999 when I lived in the Hallindale apartments near St Marys. I was walking both Zoe 1 and Brandy and Bran noticed the remains of an ice cream cone on the ground. It was mostly just the cone with a McDonalds wrapper around the bottom of it. When she put it in her mouth, I tried to get it out to take the wrapper off, but, again, she swallowed the whole thing before I had the chance.
Another time at my present home, I left a box of Old Dutch potato chips on the kitchen counter. The next morning, when I woke up, the box was open on the floor next to the couch. One of the airtight bags had been chewed open, maybe both, and and many of the chips had been eaten. I was wondering how she did it, but quickly realized that the only way possible was for her to get on her hind legs. Sometime later, I actually saw her get up on her 2 back legs to drag something off the counter. Needless to say, I didn't leave any goodies up there after that.