Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lucky Fuzz Spider

After not going to a movie for about 3 weeks, I have resumed my trips to the picture show attending 3 films in the last 4 days. On Saturday afternoon, I went with my beloved to the Eric Bana-Drew Barrymore gambling drama, "Lucky You". It wasn't the greatest (you have to really like Texas Hold 'Em to get much out of it), but it was fine for an afternoon show (B-). I agree with this reviewer's take:

"To me, poker has never seemed compelling as a spectator sport, although its TV popularity indicates that a sizable portion of the viewing population disagrees with me. Director Curtis Hanson does his best to generate suspense as each new hand plays out, but this becomes a case of too much of the "sport" in a movie that is at heart a relationship drama. There's no doubt that the movie needs to show some action at the poker tables - that's where some of the most intense character development takes place - but less would have been more effective. At over two hours, the running length is bloated and there are times when the film bogs down."

On Sunday, I went on my own to the British comedy-satire, "Hot Fuzz". It pokes sophisticated fun at American action movies and did quite a good job of it (A-). I typically enjoy British movies for some reason (I may have been one, perhaps a serf, in a past life). The next film I plan to go to, "28 Weeks Later", is also a Brit flick.

And then last night, I went to, "Spidey 3". Not too many people there since it was a late show and the movie has been out for more than 10 days. Most reviews said it wasn't as good as the first 2, but I figured I'd give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did. Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst were great as usual (there is a heartbreaking scene that takes place between them on a bridge).


I really enjoyed the love story aspect of the film (based on some things going on with me right now). The fight scenes were almost an afterthought for me. I guess I'm just more of a fan of character development. Great movie, though (A-). And its 2 hour 20 minute run time really allowed me to just relax and let the story unfold. Ron Howard's daughter (hot!) played a love interest of Peter's and there was a fantastic comedic moment where Peter gets to indulge his "other" side (he comes out of a clothing shop and, dressed to the nines, does a dance totally ripped from "Saturday Night Fever").

1 comment:

the Book of Keira said...

Yes! I loved the Saturday Night fever dance...lol!

I thought it was fantastic as well... glad you enjoyed it, too!