Thursday, May 17, 2007

Disco

One of my favorite records as a youngster was this beauty from 1978:



It's like those "Now" albums they have now where hit songs by different singers are put onto one disc. Some of the songs that I could listen to at any time by having this record included: "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, KC and the Sunshine Band's "I'm Your Boogie Man", Alan O'Day's controversial classic, "Undercover Angel", KISS's smokin' "Calling Dr. Love", Barry Manilow's "Looks Like We Made It", and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love".

One afternoon when we got back home from a trip to Winona, I was singing a Donna Summer disco song. Here is a rough transcript of what happened:

Tom (singing) "Do you wanna get funky with me, do you wanna?"

Dad: "What did you say?"

Tom: "I said, do you wanna get funky?"

Dad: "Well, don't say that word".

Tom: "What word? Funky?"

Dad: "Yeah".

I then shrugged my shoulders and went into the house.

I now know that he was afraid if I said that word at school, people might think I was saying another that sounds awfully similar (check this out for someone who made that very mistake).

All I can say about it now is...

Funk it!

3 comments:

Mags said...

LOL...my mom wouldn't let me say Wang Chung.

Then again, she thought that I'm Your Venus was "I'm your Penis."

Unknown said...

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for including my record "Undercover Angel" on your list. it was banned in Peoria (I was kinda proud of that), so I'm glad it got thru to Minnesota!

the Book of Keira said...

I just gotsta have the funk in my life. It's a must have!