Thursday, November 30, 2006

November 22, 1999 - Journal entry

My love of Christmas was brought to a zenith in late 1993. I had been diagnosed with major depression the previous summer. But I had some good friends that were able to help me through it. I was living at 273 E. 3rd St, Apt. C. This was in Winona, across the street from Goltz Pharmacy. I was feeling wonderful as Christmas approached. My depression appeared to be a thing of the past. I was so happy and blazingly optimistic. I wanted to share this love, so I sent out lots of Christmas cards. I mailed them to family, friends, and others who had touched my life. Some of those names included Dean Mustbechamp, Jim Panushla, Matt Wheel, Brian Chadborn, Beth Woman, Cathy Schofield, several members of Inter-Varsity, and many others. It was the first time in this life that I can recall sending Christmas cards to anyone. And it made me feel good. I bought a variety pack of cards so that I could mail each person the type that I thought they would prefer. I would go to the mailbox with six cards at a time. I knew that the cards would go out all over the city and that most people would be happy to receive them. And when people reciprocated and sent me a card, that gave me a good feeling as well. This was but one aspect of that Christmas.

I also had a little (or as the girls would say, "itty bitty") Christmas tree. I'm not sure if my mom brought it for me or if I bought it. But I did like it. I looked at the tree when I went to bed at night admiring the many colored lights as it sat on top of my bookshelf.

No comments: