Monday, April 02, 2007

Boy or girl?

When I was young, we knew a family that had some kids, then some more, then more still. The parents' names were Joe and Judy. They came up with the brilliant idea of having all their kids' names begin with the letter J.

They started with a boy (Jody), then a girl (Jina), then a boy (Jason), then a girl (Jenny), then another boy (Justin), then another girl (Jordan), then yet another boy (John), and yet another girl (Julie). I'm not sure what the odds are for having boy-girl-boy-girl over 8 kids, but, damn, that couldn't have been easy to do. They went a bit too far, though. They had a 9th child which per the pattern should have been a boy, but was instead a girl (Julia). Oh well. What can you do?

We used to have Uno game get-togethers with them in Rollingstone. They would visit us on a Friday or Saturday night and whoever wanted to could sit at the dining room table and play Uno. It was a very new game at this time. The colors and unique cards (Skip, Reverse, Draw Four) made it more fun for kids than conventional cards. The last time I played Uno was last year when I worked for the cable company call center. Saturdays were fairly slow, so three of us guys played in between calls.

Getting back to children, two of my siblings have 2 children. They each have a boy and a girl. Perfect, innit? One of my other 2 siblings has 3 girls (with a 4th female on the way).



I think they would've preferred having a boy as this last one, but what are you gonna do? Have sex standing up like the "J" family did whenever they wanted to make sure they had a boy?

6 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

I never understood the naming everybody the same letter thing. You already share the same DNA isn't that enough?

Mags said...

Yeah...I didn't get that either. It's kind of boring if you ask me...hopefully they gave them different middle names so they have diffent initials...

Thomas said...

Actually, all the kids' middle names in that family start with an L. So all 9 have the exact same initials (JLC).

Paige said...

i agree, Blades gets B+. It was funny but not the funniest thing I have seen. worth the money for sure though

the Book of Keira said...

I'm with you on the names. I had a hard time naming Olivia because I was torn at the idea of having two kids who's name started with the letter O. With this baby, we wanted a name that started with an N so that all the first initials put together would spell out MOON. Then, for a while, we contemplated naming her Hayden but I worried about having the initials spell out HOMO. Now, it's Emi and it spells out nothing, really. A J name would have been cool.... MOJO.

I'm weird.

Rocketstar said...

thomas, wow that's wierd, all have JLC, like a cult or something ;o)

Wow, she's very attractive, lucky man.