Monday, April 02, 2007

Summer 07 Part II

The second author I will be seeing this summer in Chi-town is James Redfield.


He wrote the best-selling 90's adventure story, "The Celestine Prophecy".



"Celestine" is a fictional story that discusses various spiritual ideas that one can apply in their day-to-day life. The insights are as follows:

THE FIRST INSIGHT . . . A CRITICAL MASS
A new spiritual awakening is occurring in human culture, an awakening brought about by a critical mass of individuals who experience their lives as a spiritual unfolding, a journey in which we are led forward by mysterious coincidences.

THE SECOND INSIGHT . . . THE LONGER NOW
This awakening represents the creation of a new, more complete worldview, which replaces a five-hundred-year-old preoccupation with secular survival and comfort. While this technological preoccupation was an important step, our awakening to life's coincidences is opening us up to the real purpose of human life on this planet, and the real nature of our universe.

THE THIRD INSIGHT . . . A MATTER OF ENERGY
We now experience that we live not in a material universe, but in a universe of dynamic energy. Everything extant is a field of sacred energy that we can sense and intuit. Moreover, we humans can project our energy by focusing our attention in the desired direction...where attention goes, energy flows...influencing other energy systems and increasing the pace of coincidences in our lives.

THE FOURTH INSIGHT . . . THE STRUGGLE FOR POWER
Too often humans cut themselves off from the greater source of this energy and so feel weak and insecure. To gain energy we tend to manipulate or force others to give us attention and thus energy. When we successfully dominate others in this way, we feel more powerful, but they are left weakened and often fight back. Competition for scarce, human energy is the cause of all conflict between people.

THE FIFTH INSIGHT . . . THE MESSAGE OF THE MYSTICS
Insecurity and violence ends when we experience an inner connection with divine energy within, a connection described by mystics of all traditions. A sense of lightness--buoyancy--along with the constant sensation of love are measures of this connection. If these measures are present, the connection is real. If not, it is only pretended.

THE SIXTH INSIGHT . . . CLEARING THE PAST
The more we stay connected, the more we are acutely aware of those times when we lose connection, usually when we are under stress. In these times, we can see our own particular way of stealing energy from others. Once our manipulations are brought to personal awareness, our connection becomes more constant and we can discover our own growth path in life, and our spiritual mission--the personal way we can contribute to the world.

THE SEVENTH INSIGHT . . . ENGAGING THE FLOW
Knowing our personal mission further enhances the flow of mysterious coincidences as we are guided toward our destinies. First we have a question; then dreams, daydreams, and intuitions lead us towards the answers, which usually are synchronistically provided by the wisdom of another human being.

THE EIGHTH INSIGHT . . . THE INTERPERSONAL ETHIC
We can increase the frequency of guiding coincidences by uplifting every person that comes into our lives. Care must be taken not to lose our inner connection in romantic relationships. Uplifting others is especially effective in groups where each member can feel energy of all the others. With children it is extremely important for their early security and growth. By seeing the beauty in every face, we lift others into their wisest self, and increase the chances of hearing a synchronistic message.

THE NINTH INSIGHT . . . THE EMERGING CULTURE
As we all evolve toward the best completion of our spiritual missions, the technological means of survival will be fully automated as humans focus instead on synchronistic growth. Such growth will move humans into higher energy states, ultimately transforming our bodies into spiritual form and uniting this dimension of existence with the after-life dimension, ending the cycle of birth and death.

THE TENTH INSIGHT . . . HOLDING THE VISION
The realization that throughout history, human beings have been unconsciously struggling to implement this lived spirituality on Earth. Each of us comes here on assignment, and as we pull this understanding into consciousness, we can remember a fuller birth vision of what we wanted to accomplish with our lives. Further, we can remember a common world vision of how we will all work together to create a new spiritual culture. We know that our challenge is to hold this vision with intention and prayer everyday.

THE ELEVENTH INSIGHT . . . EXTENDING PRAYER FIELDS
The Eleventh Insight is the precise method through which we hold the vision. For centuries, religious scriptures, poems, and philosophies have pointed to a latent power of mind within all of us that mysteriously helps to affect what occurs in the future. It has been called faith power, positive thinking, and the power of prayer. We are now taking this power seriously enough to bring a fuller knowledge of it into public awareness. We are finding that this prayer power is a field of intention, which moves out from us and can be extended and strengthened, especially when we connect with others in a common vision. This is the power through which we hold the vision of a spiritual world and build the energy in ourselves and in others to make this vision a reality.
NOTE: I did not end up going to this conference due to a major change that occurred in my life in May of '07

12 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

You've been tagged. :)

the Book of Keira said...

This is one of those books that people either love or hate. For me, it falls into the same league as Siddhartha and most anything written by Daniel Quinn.... all books that seem to be on the right track and have very good messages but also having authors who are too eager to get their points across and rush through, often forgetting how to compell us and draw us in.

You and the109 would get along very well :-)

The109 said...

I loved this book until the final insight and then got pissed and threw it down in disgust. I can't believe that all this spirituality culminated into a rant about money. It seems that the author was intent on revealing something he felt would come true. Unfortunately, most bums off the street could tell you where our money system was headed and his final revelation fell completely flat.

On a lighter note, I'm curious to know if you've read any Daniel Quinn and what your thoughts on him are. If not, I highly recommend him although Kyra can't stand him and thinks I'm a total douche for enjoying him so much.

But, fuck her.

Mags said...

It's not that I hated this book-but I just couldn't get into it.

It took me 2 years to read on and off...this is coming from me, who reads a book in a day...

Paige said...

I am kinda with mags a million on this one. i am an avid reader but just didn't dive into this
thomas, how are you today anyhow?

Brianinmpls said...

Where do you find the authors schedules is there a website that had like all the author tour dates?

Thomas said...

Sil, I put my answers (to 5 things that I am obsessed with) in the comments section of your post.

the108, yeah, it's not my favorite spiritual book, but I did enjoy how the insights were put forth in an adventure story.

the109, I'm not familiar with Daniel Quinn. I'll definitely look into his work, though, and let you know what I think.
"But, fuck her."
Yeah, really.

Mags, that is totally understandable.

Paige, I am doing pretty good today. I'm going into work a bit late because the Culligan man is coming out to fix our water softener (it's overflowing with water). For the moment, I'm just keepin' it real. Hope you're doin' the same.

Damnit, Brian, I didn't want you guys to know the website of the conference I'm going to. Why not? Because each week, I wanted to reveal a new person and hear you ooh and ahh over him or her (it wouldn't be the same if you were already privy to the info). Since you asked, though, here it is:

http://www.mishkaproductions.com/celebrate-your-life-2007-chicago/

Mags said...

And, is it just me, or is his weird "I'm posing in front of a Bob Ross painting" picture freak you out?

Thomas said...

I didn't know he was posing in front of a painting, much less what artists' painting. You really know your shit, Mags.

Mags said...

Well...thanks.

Ok. I can't lie to one of my MN boyz...

You know...Bob Ross...the guy who used to paint on TV with the big fro? Who used Vandike Brown and made "Happy little trees"???

It looks like one of his paintings...it was just a figure of speach.

I do know art and artists...but I can't take that credit.

Perhaps I just let the cat out of the bag on what a big dork I am b/c I watched him. LOL.

the Book of Keira said...

I feel I should inform you that as a child, I watched Bob Ross onsessively. He was my hero.

Don't ask me why.

Oh yeah, and Thomas: If I know the109, which I think I do... he will recommend you read "Ischmael" by Quinn.

It's about a gorilla who tells the secrets of the world to some dude in a locked room. At least, that's my interpretation of it. Dean-o thinks it's just the greatest, but fuck him.

After me, of course :-)

Thomas said...

Yes, I do remember seeing Bob Ross on PBS from time to time. It was quite cool how he could create a beautiful landscape in just a few minutes.

108, I'll look up info on "Ismael" this afternoon (I have heard of the book).

"Dean-o thinks it's just the greatest, but fuck him. After me, of course :-)"

I'll be too tired after you to go any further.