Tuesday, October 03, 2006

1991

My favorite movie of 1991 was a sequel (The original was one of the first movies I ever saw on a VCR back in 1985). It was the best movie I had seen in at least 5 years and was the top grossing movie of 1991. It had groundbreaking special effects (one of the earliest uses of computer graphics in a movie), a cool score, and only the future of the world at stake.

I really went nuts for this one. I went to it at least a dozen times. I bought 3 different T-shirts from it at the Suncoast movie store, I bought the soundtrack, the trading cards, even the screenplay.



There is a lot of violence in the movie, but its theme is actually about the sanctity of life. These are the last few lines of the movie:

Sarah Connor: The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

I also need to mention my second favorite movie of '91 since it was also a good one. It was the 2nd top grossing movie of the year, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". I went to it with my cousin, Drew, one Saturday afternoon in June ("T2" was released a few weeks later). Like "T2", this was a great action movie, perfect summer entertainment while I was on break from WSU and working at Sammy's Pizza.

No comments: