Monday, October 09, 2006

1996

Some of the pics I saw in 1996 included "Phenomenon" starring John Travolta, Robin Williams in "Jack", Adam Sandler's "Happy Gilmore", Chris Farley's "Black Sheep", Barbra Streisand in "The Mirror Has Two Faces", "Sleepers", "The Cable Guy", Schwarzenegger in "Eraser" and "Jingle All the Way", "Beavis & Butthead Do America", "The English Patient" (winner of Best Picture for 1996), Travolta as "Michael", "Scream", Matthew McConaughey's first big movie "A Time to Kill", Robin Williams in "The Birdcage", and "Twister".

The top moneymaker of the year was Will Smith's "Independence Day" (I didn't catch that one at the theatre).

My favorite movie of 1996 was one that I went to at the very end of the year. I had just moved to Rochester a few weeks before and was just about to hired as a video store clerk. :P As mentioned in a previous post, I went to the early show of "Beavis" and then went to the late show of

It was the number 4 top grossing movie of the year and was also nominated for Best Pic. It had something for both men and women. The girls liked Tom Cruise and the "relationship" stuff while the guys dug the sports angle of it. It was the movie that spawned a million catchphrases:

Cruise: "Help me help you..."

Renee: "You complete me" and "You had me at hello"

Cuba: "Show me the money!"

This was the first of 5 consecutive years in which my favorite movie of the year was viewed at the Galleria theatres in the Galleria Mall. Therefore, the Galleria became synonymous with high quality movies for me over the next half decade.

No comments: