Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Christmas Comes Early

In late 1981, my grandma Ruth (having some extra money) agreed to give each of us kids $20.

That was a lot of money back then (probably like having $30 - $35 today). So, on one autumn evening, Mom took us all to grandma's house to visit for a bit and then to the Winona JCPenney's located just a few blocks from her house. I was 11 at the time and had no problem finding what I wanted: the Empire Strikes Back Dagobah playset, an ESB Tauntaun, and Star Wars Marvel comic #56. Brian (7 at the time) was tremendously excited when he bought the General Lee remote-controlled car. Matt (4) and Mike (3) used their money to buy a crapload of Smurf figurines. Carrie (9) couldn't find anything she wanted at the store, so Mom took her to the layaway department where she ordered a doll from the JCPenney catalog. Yep, Grandma made us all mighty happy that night. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go smurf.

No comments: