Tuesday, October 03, 2006

1992

Some of my wife's favorite movies were released in 1992 ("Sister Act", "A League of Their Own", "A Few Good Men").

The top money maker of the year was one of the twins' favorite movies, "Aladdin".

I did go to the number 2 and 3 top grossing movies of the year ("Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" and "Batman Returns"), but found both to be a bit draggy, though "H2" did have a few laughs (I remember going to Home 2 with my brother, Mike, on the first night it opened. My mom, Phil, and the twins were also there. They sat a bit closer to the screen than we were).

I also went to "The Bodyguard" with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston (don't be hatin') and "Alien 3".

My favorite movie of 1992, however, was a comedy, a comedy that originated as a Saturday Night Live skit. Yes, indeed, the movie I'm talking about is "Wayne's World". I enjoyed the characters and humor.

The movie spawned a crapload of catchphrases. Check it:

"Party on, Wayne." "Party on, Garth.", "Excellent", "Schwing!", "We're not worthy!", "...NOT!!", "Shyeah, right. As if.", "No way." "Way.", "I think I'm gonna hurl", and who can forget, "Wayne's World, Wayne's World, party time, excellent!"

The movie also made use of the 70's Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody" and caused it to chart two decades after it was originally released.

Robert Patrick, who played the T-1000 in "T2" the year before, spoofed his own appearance in that movie in "Wayne's World".

Wayne and Garth also had a real kick ass car: A 1976 AMC Pacer!

For all these reasons and more, my favorite movie of 1992 has to be "Wayne's World".

Now, let's party!!

No comments: